April 14, 2013

Sunday Evening Treat(s) – Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting… and Some Sunday Dinner Tips and Tricks.


My husband works for Walmart, which means like it or not he has to work Sundays.  And since he works 13-14 hour days, sometimes my Sundays can be kind of long boring days.  Especially on days like today when I have sick kids and am stuck at home.  What do I do to entertain myself on days like this?  Well I cook, and cook…and cook some more.  When I get in these cooking modes I try to think ahead to what’s coming up the next week and cook not only things we can enjoy today, but through out the week.  Here’s a few ideas for Sunday meals that can feed your fam. today, and make the rest of your week easier.

Homemade sauce.  Double the sauce so later on in the week I can use the other half to make lasagna.

super-saturday-craft-ideas-meal-planning   

Most bread recipes make two loaves.  Have one for dinner tonight and make the other into cinnamon bread, by simply adding, butter, sugar and cinnamon to the top of the bread before I rolling it into a loaf.   Later on in the week (either for breakfast or dinner, which ever) Use it to make Cinnamon French Toast.  YUM!!



super-saturday-craft-ideas-meal-planning-1

{I have yet to master the art of making bread look pretty, and I forgot to lower the rack in the oven so the tops were a little crispy….but oh goodness did it taste yummy!  I had to slap a few hands to keep the cinnamon bread safe for later.}

Of course you can never go wrong with cookies right?  Enjoy some now and stick ‘em in the kids school lunch later.

Earlier this afternoon I came across this little recipe for Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies, {found it in the Gathering of Friends by Michelle Huxtable and Alyse Christensen}.  Seriously, just read through the ingredients.

2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup shortening
! cup sugar
3 oz. cream cheese
2 eggs
4 tsp. orange juice
3 tsp. orange zest
6 oz. chocolate chips.

Any recipe that combines, chocolate, orange flavoring and cream cheese is sure to be a winner.  You know those yummy chocolate oranges we eat at Christmas time?  Well that is exactly what these cookies taste like.  Than as if that isn’t enough you top them with a cream cheese frosting.

There are a few crazy people in my family that’s don’t like frosting so I only frosted half of my cookies.

super-saturday-craft-ideas-cookie-recipes

To make the cookies: cream together shortening, sugar, cream cheese, orange juice and eggs until light and fluffy. Add salt flour and mix until well combined. Add orange zest and chocolate chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes (My family likes their cookies slightly under cooked so I baked mine closer to 10-12 minutes.)

FROSTING – Ummm cookies with frosting…need I say more?
2 cups powdered sugar
3 oz. cream cheese
1 tsp. orange juice
3 tsp. orange zest

Some of the cookies I spooned dropped onto the cookie sheet and baked and others I rolled into balls.  I kind of like the authentic look of the spoon dropped cookies best.

super-saturday-craft-ideas-meal-planning-2

{The cookies in the above picture where rolled into balls.}

They were super easy to make.  I really only have two tips.  Be careful not to over bake or they turn out a little dry.  Double the recipe, it only makes 24… I don’t know about your house, but 24 cookies is never enough at mine.

What tips and tricks do you use to roll over leftovers and make dinner time easier?

1 comment: